Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Grilled Sausage Ring with Parsley and Provolone Over Pepperonata

Grilling a ring of sausage has been on my culinary to-do list for years.  Call me silly, but there is just something about a spiraling circle of sausage that is extremely appealing to the eye, or at least my eye.  The issue is that I can't find rings of sausage in any of my local markets.  As far as I know, there are no local Italian delis.  And, as much as I like to cook, I'm just not into the whole "making fresh sausage" thing. 
Lucky for me, on a recent trip to Ohio, we got the chance to go to Cleveland's West Side Market. The West Side Market is such a fabulous market, full of culture and every kind of food item you could long for.  My head spins from the time I walk in until the time I leave.  One of our favorite stalls is Dohar Meats, a Hungarian-based old world butcher shop.  Dohar's reputation is golden in Cleveland.  In fact, many customers swear up and down that Dohar's products are even better than those from the "old country", or their native Hungary.  Dohar's Paprika Bacon and Garlic Sausage fly off the shelves in huge increments.  On the day we arrived, we were buying 4 pounds of Garlic Sausage for ourselves and another 4 pounds for my Dad and his wife.  If you are in the area, or ever get a chance to go to Cleveland's West Side Market, you have to try Dohar's Garlic Sausage.  It is "the best sausage I've ever ate."
A ring of sausage this special deserved a special recipe and this recipe from Carmine's Family-Style Cookbook did not disappoint.  Should you be lucky enough to get your hands on some authentic Italian or Hungarian sausage, then this recipe is as good as gold.  This was a truly wonderful family meal that goes very well with roasted potatoes. 
Grilled Sausage Ring with Parsley and Provolone Over Pepperonata
Adapted from Carmine's Family-Style Cookbook
Serves 4
Ingredients:
3 Cubanelle Peppers or Other Mild Peppers
2 Hot Italian Peppers or Other Hot Peppers
2 Medium or 1 Large Green Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
2 Large Spanish Onions, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
20 Cherry Tomatoes
15 Leaves Fresh Oregano, Chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1 Large Bay Leaf
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1-1/2 to 2-Pound Sausage Ring with Parsley and Provolone or Link Italian Sausage*
*NOTE: Most Italian delis and markets sell sausage rings flavored with provolone and parsley.  These are long ropes of sausage, not divided into links, and about half the diameter of Italian link sausages.  They are called "sausage rings"  or "sausage rolls" because the rope is wrapped into a tight, snail-like roll and held together with large toothpicks.  If you can't find a sausage ring, buy link sausage flavored with provolone and parsley, and if neither one is sold in your local markets, buy the best Italian sausage you can find. 
Directions:
1.  Core the peppers, cut them in half, and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices
2. In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat.  When the oil is hot, add the peppers.  Cook them for 2 minutes without stirring.  Stir them well and cook them for 2 more minutes without stirring.  Repeat this routine 2 to 3 times or until the peppers start to brown and wilt.  Add the garlic and saute the mixture for 2 minutes or until the garlic softens.  With a slotted spoon transfer the peppers to a large bowl.  Set them aside.
3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan.  When the oil is hot, add the onions.  Saute them for about 3 minutes or until they are lightly browned.  Return the peppers to the pan.  Add the tomatoes, fresh and dried oregano, and bay leaf.  Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook the sauce, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 13 minutes or until the peppers have softened completely.
4. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill so that one side of the coals or heating elements is medium-hot and the other side has a low heat; first, lightly spray the grilling rack with vegetable oil spray to prevent sticking.  Or preheat the broiler.
5. Lightly brush the sausage with olive oil.  Grill it on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until it is browned.  Turn it over and grill the other side for 2 to 3 minutes or until it is browned.  Transfer it to the lower heat and grill it for 7 to 8 minutes.  Check for doneness by cutting into the sausage.  Return it to the high heat and grill it for about 1 minute on each side to complete the cooking.
6. Spread the pepperonata on a large platter.  Lay the sausage ring on top.  Serve with crusty bread.
Notes/Results:  This was one incredible meal!  I garnished the sausage ring with the pepper and onion mixture and sprinkled provolone cheese over the top.  We served this sausage with Romano Roasted Potatoes and everyone was swooning in delight.  I do want to note that I used the entire 4 pound ring of sausage in this recipe (the recipe calls for 2 pounds).  Because I was doubling the meat, I also doubled the peppers and onions.  I'll definitely be stocking up on this sausage the next time I'm in Cleveland.
Mmmmmmm...........Delicious!

30 comments:

  1. Boy, does this look amazing. I love everything about it. Wow, I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Kim! This looks so very good! And the sausage ring does remind me of a snail shell. Serving this with romano roasted potatoes sounds perfect. Were there any leftovers? I bet not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, that looks pleasing to my eye, too. YUM! Garlic sausage. Say it with me now... Seriously, YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kim, this sausage looks divine. I really like the idea of the full sausage ring. You are right, there is just something about it. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say that I've ever noticed a ring of sausage like that before, but you're right...it really is beautiful. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never cooked a whole sausage ring but I'm intrigued after this because it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 Cheers for The Westside Market! Love that place! Your sausage ring looks absolutely perfect...and delicious!

    I'm not around much lately, craziness is my lifestyle lately! I miss reading all of your mouth-watering posts! Happy New Year...way late. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sausage rings make me sing. So I am singing. The peppers and the cheeses make me dance. So I am dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, definitely pleasing to the eye, and the stomach! What a delicious and indulgent dinner. Love everything about this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is drool-worthy, Kim. I've said before I love my Carmine's cookbook. I wish I could try that sausage! I envision a huge crusty loaf of Arthur Avenue bread layered with your sausage ring and garnish. Oops, where'd that 5 pounds come from!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My family grills sausage rings all the time in the summer! If you can ever find it, my favorite is skinny sausage...it's just like regular sausage except it's super thin! This recipe sounds delicious and i'm going to have to pass it on to my family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks fantastic:) i cant get over how good this looks!! thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen a sausage ring locally, but I want to seek one out, now! That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go, Kim! It looks great and this is a must try! It's a hit for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so cool I used to live near west side market !! never seen a sausage ring before very cool

    slice me some please!

    ReplyDelete
  16. absolute man heaven, my husband would be quite pleased with this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is what we call proposal food! It really sounds delicious and should bring several offers of marriage your way. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can't stop looking at it. more then that, i can't stop imagining what it is like to cut into it with all of it's juices and aromas, how delicious! isn't it fun to try new things like this, especially when you have to travel to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks incredibly delicious Kim! And the sausage sounds insanely good - wish I could find good sausage like that here. I've never eaten Hungarian sausage. I love that you dreamed of an idea - that happens to me sometimes too when I'm thinking real hard on it. Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim, I agree with you on how difficult it is to find really good Italian sausage. When we lived in the Midwest there was (and still is) this one and only in the state of Iowa, Italian grocer that made home-made Italian sausage. I wonder if it is available on line somewhere. Anyhow, I can just smell this dish as it cooks in my mind! Also! My little sister always eats at Carmine's when in NYC and surprised me with this incredible cookbook for Christmas. I could not put that book down and cannot wait to make so many of the recipes (which I think I dog-eared every other page!) Hope you're staying warm; oh so cold down here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I have never had a sausage ring before. I should definitely add that to my to do list. Impressive!
    As for making sausage - it is fun and fairly easy, I don't bother with the casings though.
    But I just do it once in a while, I still buy sausage too - and I definitely would for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. KIM! You’re killing me with this one! You’ve made other recipes from Carmine’s book but this one….(drooling) I do love grilled sausage. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous job, Kim! You know I love it. Guess what - You have done something I have never done on the grill! I will definitely be trying this quite soon. Fresh Market sells the rings, I believe. If not, I'll just get you to grab me one from Cleveland :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous dish. I bet the leftovers (if there were any) would be wonderful on rolls as a sandwich. If I ever find a sausage ring... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cool! It'd be such a great dish for a summer BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  26. First onion rings, now sausage rings, whatever will they think of next. :)

    Forget what said about healthy eating, I could definitely finish that whole ring! LOL! Looks absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am going to make this for my husband and he is going to be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. No sausage coils here either...I'm going to have to hunt me one down to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.