Thursday, February 3, 2011

Emeril's Garlicky Sizzling Shrimp

It seems a lot of people have mixed feelings about Emeril Lagasse.  I've always liked Emeril and LOVE his cookbook, 20-40-60 Fresh Food Fast. I find myself going to this cookbook over and over again when I want a quick and simple meal that really delivers in the flavor department.  This recipe for Garlicky Sizzling Shrimp takes less than 10 minutes and is fantastic.  It's fabulous on it's own, but pairs well with pasta, rice, and/or bread....anything to mop up the juices with.  
Garlicky Sizzling Shrimp
Adapted from Emeril 20-40-60 Fresh Food Fast
Serves 2-4
2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic
6 tablespoons shrimp or chicken stock 
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the Essence/Creole seasoning and the salt.  Set aside

Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil.  When the oil is hot, add the butter and garlic.  Once the butter is nearly melted (about 20 seconds), add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are cooked through, about 3 minutes.

Add the stock, lemon juice, and parsley, and cook for 30 seconds.  Remove from the heat.  Serve immediately.
Notes/Results:  Fantastic!  In my opinion, this is probably the very best way to enjoy shrimp.  The shrimp were buttery, garlicky, and cooked to perfection.  We enjoyed ours served over angel hair pasta, but I really think this recipe begs for a little bread on the side so that you can mop up all the delicious juices.  This is another keeper recipe!

20 comments:

  1. This looks delicious--can't go wrong with garlic shrimp. I am developing more of an appreciation of Emeril lately. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttery and garlicky. That's how you should eat shrimp. A lot of people liked Emeril better on his early shows. I think he probably knows what he's doing, but on Emeril Live he really goes overboard and over-does his plating and it ends up tacky.

    Your shrimp dish would be a keeper for me too Kim.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I leave one night "blank" each week when I prepare my weekly menus, knowing I'll have leftovers or stuff in the pantry. I just bought Creole seasoning and I have some lovely jumbo shrimp in the freezer, so it won't be long before I come back to this page. I like Emeril as a character, but confess I've never tried one of his recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good. My hubby loves seafood we will try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a simple and delicious way of cooking shrimp, so full of great flavour!
    Have a wonderful weekend daaaaahling.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the well wishes, this is just the sort of meal to put me on the mend again. Garlic is so good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I can almost taste this just by looking at the pictures! What a simple and delicious dinner this would be! Anything with garlic and butter is guaranteed to be a hit with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any of Emeril's cookbooks (yet), but I'm always checking out his recipes online at Food Network and have a slew of them bookmarked. This is actually my favourite way to eat shrimp, with some crusty bread on the side. Just shrimp, garlic and bread. Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. killer shrimp! i might actually get my family to like shrimp if i made it like this. i've never thought to buy an emeril cookbook, but after this post, i'll have to keep my eye out for one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just came across a bag of shrimp in the freezer and was trying to figure out what to do with them...thank you for the idea!!! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks great oh and when I linked your meringue cakes to facebook and twitter folks loved it and one lady is planning to make them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 10 minutes?!?!? That's a gold mine of a recipe. I could see myself indulging in it over a nice cheesy plate of polenta...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of eating this over pasta and letting it soak up all that garlicky goodness! My idea of comfort. I like Emeril's recipes but they seem to make such huge amounts - I found 3 or 4 recipes on Food Network I wanted to make yesterday but they made enough to feed an army!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a real winner - easy, fast and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever tried one of Emeril's recipes!! But I have to say this does sound like it's full of flavor, and is easy to prep, which sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh - delicious. Yes, we're definitely on the same page this week. I've never actually made an Emeril dish - but I was really taken with the great chicken dish you posted a couple of weeks ago, and now this - I obviously need to become Emeril's friend :-)
    I'm definitely making this version of garlicky shrimps.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. This shrimp dish looks superb, Kim. I think that most people don't have a problem with Emeril, they had a problem with the caricature that became of him when Food Network over publicized and produced him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, I agree...these sound perfect! I love them like this and then soaking up the juices with some slices of grilled baguette. OMG. I must have some !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm serious!! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, another one of my favorite combos here...garlic and shrimp...garlic and anything, really ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that sounds delightful! I love garlicky lemony shrimp!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.