Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pea and Mint Soup

If you've been reading my ramblings for awhile then you probably know that I have a way of stockpiling food.  First there were the 27 boxes of pasta I found in my pantry.  Then there was the 7 or so bags of shrimp in my freezer.  Then, just last week, I cleaned the other freezer (we have two freezers because I'm a hoarder) and I found several bags of frozen peas.  And by several I mean more like 5 or 6. Who in the world stocks 5 or 6 bags of peas in their freezer?  Seriously! I don't even know if I can try to explain how or why I did that!

At any rate when soups, sammies and salad week came around at I Heart Cooking Clubs it was a real no brainer as to what I was going to make.  It was definitely going to be a recipe that allowed me to use up all those peas!  When I found Jamie's recipe for Pea and Mint Soup I was so excited to see that it called for 5-1/2 cups of peas....woohoo!  

So, if you're like me and you have a mega ton of peas in your freezer and an astounding amount of mint in your garden, then this recipe is for you!  Not only is it healthy, but we thought it was quite delicious and filling.  My non-soup loving husband even had two bowls.
 Pea and Mint Soup
Adapted from Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver
Serves 6-8

2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
1-3/4 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
olive oil
5-1/2 cups frozen peas
small bunch of fresh mint
salt and freshly ground pepper
optional: 3/4 pound cooked ham or bacon

To make your soup: 
Peel and roughly slice the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic.  Put the broth in a saucepan and heat until boiling.  Put a large saucepan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients to the pan and mix together with a wooden spoon.  Cook for around 10-15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.  Add the boiling broth to the vegetables.  Add your peas.  Give the soup a good stir and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, allow to simmer for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, pick your mint leaves.

To serve your soup:
When the peas have softened, remove the pan from the heat.  Season with salt and pepper and add the mint leaves.  Using an immersion blender or liquidizer; pulse the soup until smooth.  If using ham chop it up and stir in.  Heat through before dividing between your serving bowls.  Really nice served with a toasted slice of ciabatta, drizzled with extra virgin oil.
Soups, Salads, and Sammies Week


For Souper Sundays @ Kahakai Kitchen


15 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely perfect and beautiful, I love soup,is my adiccción, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this soup...so bold and gorgeous! I do that w/ peas sometimes, too (though I don't think I've ever had that many bags at once). I'll be trying this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, This is looking so Gud and Appetizing… !A very well made post with beautiful pictures. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had any space at all whatsoever, you'd find me in a similar position. (cough 20 cans of pumpkin still on my shelves from last year cough). This soup sounds like the perfect way to use up those peas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with frozen peas and frozen edamame--I always think I need them and keep buying more and more. ;-) This soup is one that I have had tagged to make. It looks so fresh and green and yummy. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...you'd be the woman I want to live near in case I needed to borrow a cuppa sugar, or 6 bags of peas as we have here. haha

    A tasty soup for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love peas w/ mint. You made me laugh reading about your stockpiling. Especially the 5-6 bags of peas! With 5 1/2 cups of peas, I can see why you were so excited to try this soup! Love your garnishes--beautiful!

    Mind if I email you? I still have your address. I'd like your (blogging) advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous and inviting bowl of soup! I have peas up the wazoo too - not quite as many as you but enough to make soup! Pea soup would be a first for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a stockpiling person too Kim. Not just food either. Drives my husband crazy. Lovely soup and if you husband liked it, then all the better. Pleasing my husband is very important to me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems I always have several bags of peas in the freezer too. But I will need to wait until we get cooler weather to mix up this soup.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing - hoard. By accident of course - which is how our home wound up with 12 conditioners and no shampoo. That said, love the color of this and I have a mint bush that needs culling...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a huge soup person either, but I actually have always loved split pea! Maybe because it's more solid than other soups - the peas make me feel almost like I'm eating runny mashed potatoes or something. I think I'll try this one soon!!

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fresh and delicious looking summer soup. I'm loving the crispy bacon on top...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds absolutely delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great colour! So funny, I'm a hoarder too. I can't stop!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.