Sunday, April 21, 2013

Rainbow Chard and Saffron Omelets

My husband and I just returned home from a very tasty trip to Mexico.  We enjoyed many delicious meals, but the thing we looked forward to most was breakfast.  Our resort had a phenomenal breakfast service.  All of the food was authentic, homemade, fresh, colorful, brimming with flavor, and very exciting.  My husband was a fan of their omelets.  Each morning he would have an omelet stuffed with beautiful bright red chorizo, sliced jalapenos, pico de gallo, and a very melty and delicious chihuahua cheese.  My personal favorite was the Red Chilaquiles topped with sliced red onion, crema, and queso asadero.  On the side I always had a serving a refried beans, the perfect combination with chilaquiles.  To wash it all down I drank the most amazing cantaloupe agua fresca.  Total heaven!
 
On the plane ride home we had a lengthy discussion about how much we were going to miss breakfast in Mexico.  We decided it was time to spice up our breakfast routine and add a little color and excitement to our mornings. These rainbow chard and saffron omelets are a real labor of love but they definitely fit the bill when it comes to shaking things up.
 
Herb-infused omelets are stuffed with colorful ribbons of rainbow chard, tiny saffron-kissed potato cubes, and a layer of cream cheese. The delicate omelet is filled with flavor from all the herbs, the filling is earthy and hearty, the cream cheese brings it all together, and the hint of saffron definitely adds a complexity that otherwise wouldn't be there.  I thought the filling would be the dominant flavor in this recipe but the paper thin omelet packs a lot of flavor with all those herbs. All in all, this dish has a very good balance and is very unique and delicious.



Rainbow Chard and Saffron Omelets
 Adapted from Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi
Serves 4

1 medium waxy potato, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch dice*
1 cup water
pinch of saffron threads
3/4 lb Swiss or Rainbow Chard (stalks and leaves), shredded
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove,minced
5 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup chopped herbs (tarragon, dill, parsley)*
about 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature OR creme fraiche, cold

*Note: I used a yukon gold potato
*Note: Use whatever combination of herbs you like.  I used parsley, baby dill, and chives


Put the potatoes, water and saffron in a large pan and bring to the boil.  Simmer for 4 minutes, then add the chard, minced garlic, and some salt and pepper.  Continue cooking, covered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potato is soft.  Drain out any excess liquid that is left in the pan.  Off the heat, add the lemon juice and garlic.  Leave to cool.  

Whisk together well the eggs, milk, herbs and some salt and pepper.  Pour 1 teaspoon of oil into a hot, 9-inch nonstick frying pan, then use one-quarter of the egg mix (about 1/4 cup each) to make a thin round omelete.  Transfer to paper towels.  Make three more omelets in the same way.   Leave to cool down.  Note:  I found it was easiest to use about 1 teaspoon of oil for each omelet.  I have an electric stove and set mine to about 3 or 4.  The omelets cooked very fast.

Divide the cold creme fraiche, or cream cheese, among the omelets, spreading it over one half of each.  Taste the chard mix and adjust the seasoning, then spread generously over the creme fraiche.  Fold each omelette over in half, then fold again to get a fan shape.  Allow the chard mix to show at the open side.  Arrange the omelets in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish or on a baking sheet.  (Keep in fridge if making ahead.)  When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 325F.  Place the omelets in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until hot.  Serve at once. 

11 comments:

  1. Welcome back! ;-) It sounds like you had a fabulous time. Between reading about your vacation breakfasts and seeing these omelets, I want breakfast right now! These look delicious and I love the wedges with the dill on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...Chilaquiles!
    I have to say that this chard is so pretty, I can't help but smile when I look at the picture. I'm glad you had so much fun and hearty breakfasts filled with chorizo. That's they way it should be!

    I think I would have to save this as a breakfast for dinner. Since I don't function well in the AM, I'd surely mess this up! Love all of those herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how lovely, a trip to Mexico! And the omelete is looking yummy! Anything with eggs is a definite welcome meal, be it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have not tried Rainbow Chard before, have not seen it around here. Would love to try them one day, if I can get a hold of some! Your omelete looks so delicious with the additon of potatoes and saffron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my these sound heavenly, they were a close second for me with the leaves the other week. With all that good green stuff they feel so good for you too, so both delicious & good for you can only be a good thing. I am most definitely going to have these one weekend very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Michelle - these would definitely be breakfast for lunch or dinner for me, as there would be small chance of me conjuring up anything more than a slice of toast in the morning. Your holiday breakfasts sound amazing, and this dish seems like a great way of keeping some of those breakfast memories alive. Can't wait to give this one a try, and actually I'm thinking I would even enjoy the omelettes on their own - they look so beautiful with all that herby goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous of your trip to Mexico! That sounds amazing. One of my old roommates taught in Cancun for a year and she is always talking about the food there..so good.

    I've had my eye on this omelet for a while and I'm glad to hear you giving it a good review! That herb infusion sounds super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent web site you've got here.. It's hard to find quality writing
    like yours these days. I truly appreciate individuals like
    you! Take care!!

    my homepage: diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved seeing your pictures on fb, it looked like an amazing trip! and i agree, sometimes what spoils you the most is the food. the omelet looks awesome, so healthy and bright, a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to go to Mexico, Kim!What a delicious breakfast or brunch dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this simply looks delicious and so healthy. I'm going to have to pick up Yotam Ottolenghi's cookbooks. I've heard so many great things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DAGNABIT! Who's saffron threads have been kissing my potato cubes?!?!? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.